Historic Marshall House will be rededicated
Save the Date:Marshall House dedication is noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, May 6.
The Russian River Historical Society, Russian River Senior Center and West County Community Services will gather together for a Dedication Ceremony/Fundraiser. The dedication will be officiated by Jane Barry, local historian John Schubert, the Senior Center’s Diana Spain, and Katrina Thurman, supervised by Fifth District Supervisor Efren Carrillo. The celebration will include a fundraiser BBQ (chicken or ribs and slaw), the Russian River Sisters Viva Las Cookies Bake Sale for the Sister’s operating fund,
live music by Dag Nabbit, and a raffle with a fabulously exotic grand prize. For more information, call 869-0618 or 865-9894.
In March 2009, Burbank Housing submitted a design review to Sonoma County Planning Commission proposing that the Marshall House on the northwest corner of Church and Mill streets in Guerneville be demolished so they could build an affordable housing community on the 1.7-acre site.
Though the Sonoma County Assessor’s Office records show a construction date of 1880, the earliest recorded owner of the Marshall House was William H. Bartley. It changed ownership several times until it was acquired by William H. and Annie Marshall in 1898.
William Marshall, a native of Pennsylvania, was a mill hand in local sawmills, and Annie was a native of Indiana. Only one of their children, Mabel, was born at home in Guerneville. Clifford was 5 when the family moved here.
After returning from World War I, Clifford Marshall opened the first auto repair shop in the River Area on Main Street in 1919. Then in 1934 he built an automotive and machine shop on the family’s Fifth Street property. It became a single family residence in 1948, which was part of an early resort complex. Then it was significantly modified, becoming an apartment building.
The structure at 14119 Mill St. was again modified in the 1950s, becoming a “Garage/Shed” that was “associated” with Clifford Marshall’s auto/machine shop. In 1962, it was again modified and became a “motel wing” of the Imperial Lodge, which was operated by Marshall until his retirement in 1969. Two years later he died at the age of 77.
Winston “Itch” Loundigan purchased the Marshall property in 1969 for his expanding auto repair business, Noonan’s Garage. After being on the property for more than 40 years,Loundigan sold the property to Burbank Housing Development Corporation in March 2008 to build Fife Creek Commons.
In September 2010, the Marshall House was moved to the West County Community Services Senior Center on Armstrong Woods Road in Guerneville and has since been renovated. West County Community Services, Burbank Housing and Community Housing Sonoma County collaborated on the renovation, and West County Community Services will use the renovated space for senior center activities.